Treating Yellow Teeth
Why your teeth are yellow
There are several causes for yellow teeth:
- Age – calcified tissue underneath the enamel called dentist, which is yellowish in colour, is exposed as the white enamel on teeth becomes worn over time. Learn more.
- Stains – compounds like the foods you eat and the drinks you frequently consume can stain the surface of the tooth. Smoking also increases the risk of staining.
- Plaque build-up – if you have gum disease, the formation of plaque can give a yellow tinge to your teeth, and if you have tartar, it can be difficult to remove without the intervention of a dentist or hygienist. Poor oral hygiene is a cause.
- Dental decay – a yellow hue near the gum line is often an early sign of tooth decay, gum disease or other underlying dental conditions.
- Oral trauma and excessive fluoride consumption can cause internal damage to the tooth discolouring it.
Different dental treatments for yellow teeth
- Composite bonding for enamel erosion from £150.
- Porcelain or composite veneers for enamel erosion from £250.
- Airflow teeth cleaning and hygiene cleaning for minimal tooth staining from £155.
- Tooth whitening for heavier surface staining from £360.
- Dental crowns for teeth that are turning brown or black due to heavy decay from £950.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Read our Google reviews.
Be cautious of certain at-home recommendations
There’s a reason why dentists are involved when consulting on the whitening of teeth. Exposing your teeth to hydrogen peroxide without the guidance of a dentist can cause more damage than good.
Dentists use hydrogen peroxide to reduce tooth staining and improve whiteness, but it causes tooth sensitivity, and if you already suffer from sensitive teeth, then you could be experiencing complications and further problems that cause you pain.
Other recommendations might be using Vitamin C or even brushing your teeth more frequently. But as experienced dentists, we know that brushing your teeth too hard can actually expose the dentin layer, making your teeth appear more yellow.
Patients with high expectations for whitening toothpaste or over-the-counter tray-based tooth whiteners might also feel disappointed when they don’t achieve the results you expect. Tray-based whiteners can lighten teeth maybe one or two shades, and the same claims can be seen for whitening toothpaste, which means it will only really be effective if your teeth are a good shade of white already. Plus, they don’t address the reason your teeth are yellow in the first place.
Professional teeth whitening options
Professional teeth whitening treatments provided by cosmetic dentists fall into two categories:
- In-chair whitening – more immediate results
- At-home whitening trays – gradual results
In-chair whitening is carried out at our dental practice and is more pricey, but it is completed in an hour or so and can lift teeth to 5-7 shades.
Under the experienced hands of a dentist, patients can minimise side effects like tooth sensitivity and pain. View the process.
At-home whitening is more cost-effective but will be slower. Patients typically wear the custom-made trays for up to a few hours each day for weeks.
At-home trays provided by dentists are more effective because they’re custom-made for your teeth for optimal results.
The moment I stepped into the clinic, the friendly receptionist – Michael, greeted me with a warm smile and efficiently took care of the check-in process. The waiting area was clean, comfortable, and featured modern decor that helped create a relaxing atmosphere. It was clear that the staff at at CapCityDental value professionalism and patient comfort.
Dr. George, the senior dental hygienist was a true expert in his field. He took the time to explain the entire cleaning process, making sure I was comfortable and informed every step of the way. Indeed, it did feel like a warm hug. Furthermore, his dental nurse Marilou was just a gem. Her gentle yet thorough approach put me at ease, and I could sense her commitment to delivering top-notch oral care. It’s evident that CapCityDental has a team that’s passionate about what they do.
What truly sets CapCityDental apart was their dedication to personalized care and patient education. The hygienist nurse took the time to discuss my oral health habits and offered valuable insights on how to improve my routine. She answered all my questions patiently, showing a genuine interest in my oral health journey. This level of individualized attention left a lasting impression on me.
In conclusion, my dental cleaning experience at CapCityDental was nothing short of outstanding. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, I felt valued as a patient and confident in the care I received. The professionalism, expertise, and genuine concern for patient well-being were evident throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend this clinic to anyone seeking exceptional dental care in a welcoming and modern environment.
I’m already looking forward to my next visit!
Thanks to George I only require routine checkups and the odd piece of work now. Seeing George has made going to the dentist a breeze and a very happy social occasion!
I can’t recommend George highly enough. The best dentist I’ve ever had. Very attentive and caring…with exquisite attention to detail; second to none.
I should also mention that the new location in Austin Friars is a lovely calm oasis in the heart of the City. Modern health setting in a historic built environment.