Sonia graduated from King’s College London in 2007 and has worked in various practice and hospital settings to further her experience. She undertook a four-year postgraduate training programme at King’s College London and has been a Specialist Prosthodontist since 2015. She is also appointed as an Associate Specialist with the Department of Restorative Dentistry at The Royal London Hospital, managing patients with complex dental, surgical and medical needs, such as after surgery for head and neck cancer.
Approach & Experience
Despite being an experienced Specialist who has had patients referred to her for the management of complicated dental issues, Sonia enjoys the continuity of care that is to be found from being a General Dentist and enjoys being able to provide her patients with a variety of different dental treatments. Her particular interests lie in tooth wear and failing dentition, and she aims to provide patients with comfortable and long-lasting dentistry that is as conservative as possible by utilising materials and techniques that minimise the need for an invasive approach.
Education and Research
Sonia has been published in a variety of scientific journals and has presented her Masters research findings at an IADR (International Association for Dental Research) session in Seattle, USA. She regularly maintains close contact with peers through conferences and study groups to ensure that she maintains best practice standards for her clinical work and has previously been involved in the planning of the BDA conferences for a 3-year tenure.
Sonia has a keen interest in learning theory (her parents were both teachers) and has also obtained a Fellowship with the Higher Education Authority after completion of a postgraduate certificate in Clinical Education. She applies her knowledge when supervising dentists who are undertaking further training within the hospital setting and was previously a Clinical Teacher for final-year undergraduates at King’s College London.
- David Furze, Ashley Byrne, Sonia Alam, Urs Bragger, Daniel Wismeijer, Julia-Gabriela Wittneben. Influence of the fixed implant-supported provisional phase on the esthetic final outcome of implant-supported crowns: 3-year results of a randomised controlled clinical trial. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research (2019);21:649-655.
- David Furze, Ashley Byrne, Sonia Alam, Julia Wittneben. Esthetic outcome of implant supported crowns with and without peri-implant conditioning using provisional fixed prosthesis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research (2016);18(6):1153-1162.
- Isavella Kontaxopoulou, Sonia Alam. Risk Assessment for Tooth Wear. Primary Dental Journal (2015); 4 (2): 25-29.
- Sonia Alam, David Bartlett, Rebecca Moazzez. Tooth Wear, Pepsin and Saliva – Does an Association Exist? Conference Paper: IASR, AADR, CADR General Session and Exhibition 2013.
- Simon Holmes, Andrew Coombes, Vicky Cohen, Chris Bridle, Sonia Alam. The management of the penetrating ocular injury. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 47 (2009) e35–e69.
- Simon Holmes, Chris Bridle, Sonia Alam. The use of the short preauricular incision in access to the TMJ. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 47 (2009) e35–e69.
Outside of work, Sonia enjoys spending time with her young family, running and reading about everything and anything. She is also thinking of keeping bees.