Why you probably shouldn’t avoid a root canal
Root canals are usually necessary when the dental pulp in the innermost part of the tooth has become infected due to ignoring deep cavities or having an exposed cracked tooth.
As the pulp is the area that is home to the nerves, blood vessels and connective tissues, it’s vital to remove the infection as it can cause damage that leads to excruciating pain, swelling and other consequences when left untreated.
- Root canals are not the source of pain but the solution to relieve pain. The procedure effectively removes infected, damaged pulp and alleviates any intense discomfort associated with infections.
- A root canal has the primary intention of saving your natural tooth. The infection will likely spread without treatment, causing you to lose your tooth, which has its own consequences and will prevent the need for costly replacements.
- Declining treatment also risks allowing the infection to spread to neighbouring teeth or into your bloodstream, posing significant health risks. Root canals prevent the infection from advancing.
What’s the alternative to a root canal?
Whilst we believe if you’ve been recommended root canal treatment, it’s never the best next step to avoid it, there are alternative options you can explore.
For example, a pulpotomy can remove the infected pulp, or the tooth can be extracted as a last resort to relieve the pain. However, if you remove the tooth, you should consider replacing it with an implant or bridge to avoid further consequences of tooth loss.
The Root Canal Procedure
- Diagnosis: We’ll examine your tooth and carry out X-rays to assess the extent of the damage. Next, you’ll be prepped for the procedure with a local anaesthetic administered to keep you comfortable.
- Pulp removal: The endodontist will access the pulp chamber, remove the infected tissue, and clean and disinfect the area inside the tooth.
- Fill and seal: After cleaning, the space is filled with a biocompatible material and sealed to prevent further infection.
- Restoration: In many cases, a dental crown is usually placed over the tooth to provide extra strength and protection to ensure the tooth functions like any other.
“I had an emergency root canal with George and the team and subsequent fillings and hygiene. The service and quality of the finish was impeccable. Excellent communication and a focus on patient experience put you at ease from the start. The aftercare is also excellent. Couldn’t recommend enough.” Lee, London
The moment I stepped into the clinic, the friendly receptionist – Michael, greeted me with a warm smile and efficiently took care of the check-in process. The waiting area was clean, comfortable, and featured modern decor that helped create a relaxing atmosphere. It was clear that the staff at at CapCityDental value professionalism and patient comfort.
Dr. George, the senior dental hygienist was a true expert in his field. He took the time to explain the entire cleaning process, making sure I was comfortable and informed every step of the way. Indeed, it did feel like a warm hug. Furthermore, his dental nurse Marilou was just a gem. Her gentle yet thorough approach put me at ease, and I could sense her commitment to delivering top-notch oral care. It’s evident that CapCityDental has a team that’s passionate about what they do.
What truly sets CapCityDental apart was their dedication to personalized care and patient education. The hygienist nurse took the time to discuss my oral health habits and offered valuable insights on how to improve my routine. She answered all my questions patiently, showing a genuine interest in my oral health journey. This level of individualized attention left a lasting impression on me.
In conclusion, my dental cleaning experience at CapCityDental was nothing short of outstanding. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, I felt valued as a patient and confident in the care I received. The professionalism, expertise, and genuine concern for patient well-being were evident throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend this clinic to anyone seeking exceptional dental care in a welcoming and modern environment.
I’m already looking forward to my next visit!
Thanks to George I only require routine checkups and the odd piece of work now. Seeing George has made going to the dentist a breeze and a very happy social occasion!
I can’t recommend George highly enough. The best dentist I’ve ever had. Very attentive and caring…with exquisite attention to detail; second to none.
I should also mention that the new location in Austin Friars is a lovely calm oasis in the heart of the City. Modern health setting in a historic built environment.