Symptoms of gum disease
- Swollen, tender and puffy gums
- Red gums that bleed easily
- Spitting out blood when brushing or flossing teeth
- Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
- Heightened tooth sensitivity and pain when chewing
- New spaces, gaps or pockets that develop between teeth appear like black triangles
- Receding gums that are pulling away from teeth, giving the appearance of longer-than-usual teeth
- Changes to your bite
- See gum disease and overall health
Factors that increase the likelihood of developing gum disease or worsen the symptoms include:
- Developing gingivitis from poor oral health care habits
- Smoking and obesity
- Poor nutrition and low vitamin C levels
- Hormonal changes related to pregnancy
- Certain medications that cause dry mouth
- Genetics and disease like diabetes
How to prevent gum disease?
There are only two things you can do to prevent gum disease:
- Practice good at-home oral care: Brushing your teeth for two minutes twice daily (in the morning and before bed), ensuring you floss at least once a day, too. Flossing before brushing your teeth allows better cleaning of loosened food bits and bacteria. Advanced oral hygiene routines ensure your teeth and gums remain from bacteria that cause periodontal disease to thrive.
- Regular hygiene visits are essential, too – seeing the dentist or hygienist for regular cleaning every 3-12 months will help you keep the risk factors of developing periodontitis low. After a periodontal assessment, we’ll be able to put you on a treatment plan that outlines the frequency of your deep cleans to ensure your mouth stays as healthy as possible.
Complications of gum disease
Do not take gum disease lightly. Periodontitis can cause tooth loss, and the bacteria it causes can enter your bloodstream and affect other parts of your body, too. Periodontitis is linked to other general conditions like respiratory disease and problems controlling your blood sugar in diabetes.
Gum disease on an oral level is difficult to live with; not only will it affect your smile’s appearance due to longer teeth, exposed tooth roots and receding gums, but as the condition advances, it becomes more painful, leading to heightened sensitivity and pulsing gums. On top of this, patients will have to live with persistent bad breath that does not go away through teeth cleaning alone.
Gum disease is scary because once you let it progress past gingivitis, it cannot be reversed, and it’s something you’ll have to live with for the rest of your life, without the right precautions and care, you’ll start to lose your teeth, which comes with its own set of problems.
The moment I stepped into the clinic, the friendly receptionist – Michael, greeted me with a warm smile and efficiently took care of the check-in process. The waiting area was clean, comfortable, and featured modern decor that helped create a relaxing atmosphere. It was clear that the staff at at CapCityDental value professionalism and patient comfort.
Dr. George, the senior dental hygienist was a true expert in his field. He took the time to explain the entire cleaning process, making sure I was comfortable and informed every step of the way. Indeed, it did feel like a warm hug. Furthermore, his dental nurse Marilou was just a gem. Her gentle yet thorough approach put me at ease, and I could sense her commitment to delivering top-notch oral care. It’s evident that CapCityDental has a team that’s passionate about what they do.
What truly sets CapCityDental apart was their dedication to personalized care and patient education. The hygienist nurse took the time to discuss my oral health habits and offered valuable insights on how to improve my routine. She answered all my questions patiently, showing a genuine interest in my oral health journey. This level of individualized attention left a lasting impression on me.
In conclusion, my dental cleaning experience at CapCityDental was nothing short of outstanding. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, I felt valued as a patient and confident in the care I received. The professionalism, expertise, and genuine concern for patient well-being were evident throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend this clinic to anyone seeking exceptional dental care in a welcoming and modern environment.
I’m already looking forward to my next visit!
Thanks to George I only require routine checkups and the odd piece of work now. Seeing George has made going to the dentist a breeze and a very happy social occasion!
I can’t recommend George highly enough. The best dentist I’ve ever had. Very attentive and caring…with exquisite attention to detail; second to none.
I should also mention that the new location in Austin Friars is a lovely calm oasis in the heart of the City. Modern health setting in a historic built environment.