Dental Crowns London
Materials tooth crowns are made from
Permanent crowns can be made from various materials, each with benefits and drawbacks.
- Gold: Strong, safe, and durable, but the yellow colour makes it very unnatural and can be used in less visible areas. Longest-lasting but least used.
- Full Porcelain: Aesthetic, hard-wearing, safe, solid, but can fracture under heavy jaw pressure. Best for front, visible teeth.
- Porcelain bonded to metal: The strong metal base is fully covered with porcelain. It may not be as natural-looking as porcelain, but it can be ideal for side and back teeth like molars, which are out of sight.
- Zirconia crowns: Highly durable, monolithic ceramic, stronger and split-resistant than glass and composite.
- Emax crowns: Machined from a lithium disilicate ceramic that is metal-free and popular due to their translucent properties that mimic natural enamel.
- CEREC crowns: CEREC crowns are same-day crowns available the same day as your appointment using digital dentistry, which means you won’t have to wear a temporary or wait for your final crown to be made in a lab.
What happens after you have a crown fitted?
It’s normal to expect some discomfort after having a crown fitted, with the toot initially feeling strange and sensitive. However, patients can expect this to settle within 24-72 hours. Soreness around the gum is also normal, but over a few days, it will restore to a healthy, pink condition.
Are there any alternative for crowns?
Crowns are used normally when there is little tooth structure remaining, so their alternative treatment, usually a filling, is only applicable if there’s enough tooth structure remaining. Veneers are the alternative to crowns in cosmetic makeovers and are much better as they keep the tooth structure intact and only remove a small portion of the enamel. Heavily damaged teeth can also be replaced with a dental implant.
Dental crown procedure – what’s involved?
We’ll start by taking an impression to fit your temporary crown while a lab technician customises your permanent one. Your final crown will be colour-matched to surrounding teeth to ensure it looks as natural as possible. Treatment typically takes two appointments over three weeks.
- The outside of a weak tooth is to be cut back approximately 1.5mm all around.
- An impression (mould) is taken of the prepared tooth.
- A temporary crown is fitted on top of the damaged tooth.
- A dental lab sculpts your porcelain crown on a mould taken from the impression.
- Your final, permanent crown is fitted and cemented into place.
Book a consultation
There are so many crown types and materials to choose from, so it’s always best to consult a dentist on which one will be best for you. For example, molars and rear teeth require stronger chewing capabilities, so a crown with superior strength will be better for distributing biting forces.
If you’re looking into crowns to makeover your smile, you might want to explore other cosmetic treatments to preserve your natural smile as best as possible – and a consultation is a great introduction to see what’s possible with your smile and what it will cost to achieve the smile of your dreams.
You’ll likely want the best when choosing a dentist to fit your crown. Dr Druttman, our principal dentist and prosthetic specialist, has fitted thousands of crowns over his career spanning over 30 years, making him a favourite for patients in London looking to restore their worn teeth.
The moment I stepped into the clinic, the friendly receptionist – Michael, greeted me with a warm smile and efficiently took care of the check-in process. The waiting area was clean, comfortable, and featured modern decor that helped create a relaxing atmosphere. It was clear that the staff at at CapCityDental value professionalism and patient comfort.
Dr. George, the senior dental hygienist was a true expert in his field. He took the time to explain the entire cleaning process, making sure I was comfortable and informed every step of the way. Indeed, it did feel like a warm hug. Furthermore, his dental nurse Marilou was just a gem. Her gentle yet thorough approach put me at ease, and I could sense her commitment to delivering top-notch oral care. It’s evident that CapCityDental has a team that’s passionate about what they do.
What truly sets CapCityDental apart was their dedication to personalized care and patient education. The hygienist nurse took the time to discuss my oral health habits and offered valuable insights on how to improve my routine. She answered all my questions patiently, showing a genuine interest in my oral health journey. This level of individualized attention left a lasting impression on me.
In conclusion, my dental cleaning experience at CapCityDental was nothing short of outstanding. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, I felt valued as a patient and confident in the care I received. The professionalism, expertise, and genuine concern for patient well-being were evident throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend this clinic to anyone seeking exceptional dental care in a welcoming and modern environment.
I’m already looking forward to my next visit!
Thanks to George I only require routine checkups and the odd piece of work now. Seeing George has made going to the dentist a breeze and a very happy social occasion!
I can’t recommend George highly enough. The best dentist I’ve ever had. Very attentive and caring…with exquisite attention to detail; second to none.
I should also mention that the new location in Austin Friars is a lovely calm oasis in the heart of the City. Modern health setting in a historic built environment.